8.19.2015

Roman Play ~ Part 2

Missed Part 1?  See it Heeeeerrrreee!!!

 Characters: 
Madelyna – Nobleman Trilogy’s daughter
Peter – Nobleman Citrus' slave
Marcus – Madelyna's betrothed, a soldier
Proconsul Pompous – Government leader of the city
Army Commander
Harmony - Nobleman Citrus' slave girl
 
Scene 4:

Nobleman Citrus' kitchen. Harmony and Peter side-by-side washing dishes



Harmony: [To Peter] You just missed a beating this afternoon. Why on earth did you stay out that late?



Peter: [Handing her a clean dish to dry] I told you, I was just delayed at the market. Nothing more.



Harmony: [Laughs] Sure, sure. Just try to be a little more careful next time. Master was super mad when he had to have someone else serve his wine. The guest was a man all the way from Rome!



Peter: Yes, yes, I know I'm on thin ice. Just stop talking about it, okay?



Harmony: [Light-heartedly] Fair enough. Now you get outta 'ere. I'm sure you got places you'd rather be. I'll finish up.



Peter: You don't have to do that. I'll help you finish up.



Harmony: [Playfully pushes Peter towards door] Get! There isn't much left anyway.



Peter: [Grinning; scurries out of kitchen] Thanks!



Harmony: [Chuckling to self] That crazy, un-tameable boy.





[Peter jogs out into the street to Trilogy's home]



Peter: [To self] Oh, I hope her sign is out! Please...please...Oh! Window empty again. Where is she? She promised she'd see me! I have to find out.



[Rushes around to Trilogy's kitchen; slips in door]



Trilogy's cook: What you be needing, boy? I'm not in the mood for gossip, and whatever business your master has, do it quick.



Peter: I have a message for the Nobleman's daughter.



Trilogy's cook: [Sarcastically] Yah, and I'm her father. You had any message of sorts it would be delivered at a respectable time by someone a little higher rank than you and I. We'll have none to do with you; out, now. No excuse, lad.



[Peter goes out and waits in an ally. Trilogy’s cook's voice heard through a window]



Trilogy’s cook: [To servant] Don't forget to lock 'er up now, ya hear. Thrice this week I've come morn to the door unlatched. Once more and I'll report you to Master, ya' hear?



Servant: You can trust me, Cook.



Trilogy's Cook: [Snorts] That I know isn't true. But you're still better than me sticking around all night.



Peter: [Quietly to self] Ha, let's just see how much of the all-night shift is being attended to.



Trilogy's Cook: I'm off. Keep your head on your shoulders, boy.



Servant: [Under his breath] Whatever, old man.



[Cook leaves; minutes later servant leaves also. Peter jumps up and sneaks through unlatched kitchen door]



Peter: I just need to find the opening to the hall...wall...wall...

pans!


[Clatter and pots crashing. Peter freezes]



Peter: Whoo, still quiet... Ah, there is the opening! Now just to get down this hall without being detected...


[Finally, Peter reaches a door. He reaches up and quietly knocks.]



Peter: [whispering] Madelyna! It's me, open up.



[The door cracked slightly]



Madelyna: Peter, what are you doing here? We could be caught!



Peter: I don't care, I had to see you! Just let me in.



Madelyna: Alright, but we have to be careful; my father might find out.



Peter: Thank you.



[Once inside the room...]



Peter: Why has your sign not been out these last days? I've checked every night and seen nothing.



Madelyna: I'm sorry, my father has been forcing me to attend dinners every night.



Peter: [with disgust] With Marcus?



Madelyna: Yes. He mentioned tonight that he wants me to move to a villa in the country with him.



Peter: And your father sounded okay with all this?



Madelyna: Positively thrilled. He says our family is honored to be giving me away to a man with such high standing.



Peter: [bitterly] High standing. It's all anyone cares about anymore.



[Madelyna comes and sits beside Peter. She lays her head on his shoulder]



Madelyna: I care nothing about high standing. I'd rather have you than Caesar himself.



Peter: And I would be more honored than Caesar himself to have you, my love.



[End Scene]





Scene 5:

Nobleman Citrus' study



Nobleman Citrus: Here, slave, go and fetch my ink and pen. I want to transcribe a letter to the Capital, and you will deliver it when I'm done.



Peter: Yes, m'lord. [Exits, then returns]



Your pen and paper, m'lord.



Nobleman Citrus: Leave me until I call.



Peter: As you wish. [Bows, and exits]

5 comments:

  1. This is amazing, Jessica! You need to write more:)
    ~Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your style is really awesome, Jess! I can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Madelyna. :) I hope we can read more of this soon!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Jess!
    Good story. Do you live in the U.S.? If so, I am having a giveaway and I hope you check it out!
    creatingpreciousmoments.blogspot.com
    Love,
    Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jessica! This is pretty awesome, I wish I could write a play like this!
    Just as a side note, I thought that maybe the dialogue was just a bit off for what time period the story is set in, but that is only my opinion :). I really love how you have included the mental thought process of the characters!

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think! I love comments; they always make my day, and they are what makes blogging worthwhile! =)