5.12.2015

Things Every Teen is Tired of Hearing

Okay, so being a teenage is actually a pretty awkward stage.  It is the stage where decisions have direct links to the rest of your life.  But at the same time we are still expected to hang on and try to spend the last couple years of our childhood.  Expected to act like adults, treated like children.  I could go on.  Basically it is an in-between stage...that lasts 6 years.



So I've compiled a list of things that are true for me and I imagine are true for every other teenager. Enjoy.


"Oh, you're too young for that."
     This is the worse one for me.  If you ask me how I honestly feel, and I tell you that I'm a bit stressed and my joints are sore again, telling me I am too young to be stressed and sore does not help.  Excuse me, I'm pretty sure I know whether I'm stressed.  Just because I'm not a in my 40's does not mean I have nothing going on in my life.  



"So, what college are you going to?"
      I got asked this as soon as I started 9th grade.  At this point, I was overwhelmed with high school. Five years down the road was not exactly on my radar at the moment.  Also, college is not for everyone, and at this point I'm not even sure I'm going to college.  So, like, please stop asking me.  Thank you.



"Do you have a boy/girl friend yet? / I'm sure you can hardly keep the boys/girls away."
      "Actually, haha....No."  Um, not failing high school, plus a job, plus normal house stuff is keeping me plenty busy, without a boyfriend.  This is the ultimate, aunt/uncle-that-you-only-see-twice-a-year question.  I had a dentist that asked me this multiple times each visit.  It was like, nope, I didn't get a boyfriend since you asked me 5 minutes ago...


"Teens are the hardest to parent / the "trouble" stage."
     This is usually said to my mom, but when I'm there, and they look at me while they say it, etc.  And while I admit there are teenagers and drink and do drugs, but I'm not one of them, and I don't know people who do.  So thinking that every teen is talking back and sneaking out at night and suffering from depression is really unrealistic. (Added note, I live literally 40 minutes from anything so it would be a looong way for me to get anywhere if I was going out.)





"By your age (___) was doing (___)."
      Whether is is a relative or a historical figure, being compared to others is not fun.  I have an aunt that got married at 17.  In Bible times boys were officially men by 14, and girls were married even younger than that.  Buuuutt, I don't live in Bible times.  And I don't plan on eloping at 17.  So being told that my generation is "lazy" for taking so long to grow up is kind of ridiculous...


What other things do people say to you that you're tired of hearing?  Let me know and I'll add it to the list!

~J.

    

 

12 comments:

  1. Lol, I totally want to go to Monsters University! I found your blog through someone elses and I'm not even sure who anymore... anyways, hello! How did you put the floating heart things on your blog? They're really cool!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Eliza! I'm glad you found my blog! =) The floating hearts are from Eve @ Eve of Womanhood. The link to the post with the code for the hearts is here: http://eveofwomanhood.blogspot.com/search?q=falling+hearts

      =) Thank you so much for commenting!

      Delete
  2. I agree with these! I hate when people say, "oh just wait until you're older", or "it just gets worse".

    ReplyDelete
  3. Totally agree!! I hate "oh, you'll understand when you're older" Just because I don't quite understand the situation isn't based on my age. It could be that you haven't explained it well, and if that isn't true, why don't you try to explain this perspective/situation to me?
    But all the ones you listed are definitely some of my pet peeves. Especially the college and boyfriend one!
    <3

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES!!! You got down the teenage things perfectly! I hate the whole "you'll change your mind when your older." one. Though this applys to pre-teens as well its super annoyingg when you've set your heart on something then a lot of poeple say you'll change your mind. =P
    Agree 100% with the dating one!
    -Mikayla-

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha nice post that's funny because all of those things are true about me but the thing that bothers me is my family telling me that I'm going to be a terible pro wrestler or that I'll never be a big muscle man like everyone else in the bisness but I thought about it and told myself that I can do it and I can prove them all wrong by showing them the WORLD CHAMPIONSHIP belt! But that was a good post keep it up they get better every week.:)

    -Jamie

    P.S hey mikayla sorry if I got on your nerves that time I'm known for my smartelick remarks

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have been there, I know your pain. Hang in there, I know you will make it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YES. Especially the first two. "You're too young" is so patronising, and also ageist. It's stupid. :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post is so funny! I totally agree with you, Jess. People are bugging me about college and I'm like... I'm barely getting through high school. What I dislike is when people bug me about keeping RECORDS for college. It always stresses me out, lol. I love this post. Keep writing! You. Are. Awesome.
    In Christ,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  9. Haha wow I LOVE this post! ;) I totally agree with all of these. The boyfriend one is especially beginning to annoy me. They are making me feel like I'm going to be an old widow! It's also annoying when you go to a family get-together and the first people say is, "Wow, you haven't grown!"
    I'm like, it's too much work I gave up now hand over the chips.
    Brilliant post. I hope to see more like this! ;0

    ReplyDelete
  10. Awesome post, being a teenager is sooo hard!!! Lots of people just don't really understand, lol! It is often super duper irritating :P Buuuut, not everyone is at this stage in life, so we have to be understanding of them, just as we want them to be of us ;)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Heeeeyyy, Jessica! I nominated you on my blog for the Bookshelf Tag! I had a really great time doing it - I hope you can do it too! http://adventuresbeyondthehorizon.blogspot.com/2015/05/bookshelf-tag.html

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to leave a comment and tell me what you think! I love comments; they always make my day, and they are what makes blogging worthwhile! =)